This is a recipe I stumbled upon last year around this time. I made this my very first round and very first week of 21 day fix. I'm at it again with another 21 days and on day 11. In just 11 days I've lost all the pounds and damage I did to myself all summer. One of the gals in my Challenge Group made this recipe from my recipe lists and I remembered how much I loved it. It's the perfect dish to make for my weekends at work because it makes one serving for Steve and three for me for my Saturday, Sunday, and Monday 12 hour days at work. I serve these over brown rice to get a carb serving in, but you could eat them with out rice. I also dip them in a little non fat Greek Plain yogurt as a sub for a little sour cream. These re delish!!! The first time I made these I didn't add diced onion, but today I added a half a diced white onion. So onion is optional.
The original recipe says a tbsp of cheese I actually did a half tbsp of cheese (1/4 of a blue container) on each and it appears to be plenty of cheese.
Clean Turkey Taco Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder (I added this as a new ingredient today I love onion powder)
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt (I don't use the salt, it doesn't need it so if I were you I'd leave this out but up to you, there is enough seasoning that you can't even taste the salt)
- 4 oz of no salt added tomato sauce (I used 8 this time b/c the small can is 8 oz I dumped the whole thing in before realizing I used to much, but I would use the whole 8 oz)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup of low fat Mexican Shredded cheese
- chopped green onions for garnish (optional but I can't live with out it)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Use a casserole dish and place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom and spread it around.
- Using a small spoon (I used a teaspoon) hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4 inch thick shell on each half. Chop the scooped out zucchini flesh and save 1/2 cup. Squeeze the excess water out of the zucchini with a paper towel. Throw away the rest of the zucchini or use it for something else. Place zucchini boats aside.
- Brown the turkey (or chicken) in a large skillet. When no longer pink, drain the excess fat. Then add the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt and mix well.
- Add the reserved chopped zucchini, tomato sauce, remaining salsa, and water. Stir and simmer on low for 15 minutes on medium to low heat.
- Using a spoon, fill the hollowed out zucchini boats dividing the taco meat evenly, pressing firmly into the boat. Top each with a tbsp of shredded cheese (I used a half tbsp on each because I wanted to have cheese on my salad at lunch so I had to be sparse but really it seemed like plenty of cheese). Place in casserole dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Serve with fresh diced green onion on top or on the side. (You could also do fresh cilantro on the side but I don't love a ton of cilantro so b/c this is my blog I left it out because I don't like it haha, but if you do, feel free!!!)