This week was a budget week for us Ford's. I really wanted to spend as little as possible on food because it was a tough money week. I spent under 100$ at the grocery store which was my goal. That being said, we have lots of random meat in the freezer and lots of random things in my stock in the basement so I planned our meals around that and bought only what was necessary for the week.
|This looks amazing, am I right???|
I waited to blog this until I actually tasted it. I ate it at work last night (I'm totally against microwaving any fish product at work because it smells, but I warned all my co workers prior to me eating I had shrimp and they would have to deal, it actually didn't smell). It was soooo good. I said out loud I can not wait to eat this again tomorrow. Someone asked me "You don't mind eating the same things day after day?" My answer was no. I love the food I cook, it tastes amazing, and I like using up all the food and not wasting. I usually re-purpose leftovers into something delicious so that no food goes to waste. I literally can not wait to eat this again tonight. Also the bag of shrimp was only enough for two protein portions so I grilled up a chicken breast with the same seasoning and chopped that up, so tomorrow night it will be a chicken fajita bowl at work instead of shrimp, yum!
|Love colorful veggies, make me smile|
Frozen shrimp, I love you but I hate you. I love you because you are delicious and cook so fast and I do not eat you that frequently. I hate you because your package says "ready to cook" but its a lie. Your damn tails and your yucky poop vein I have to chisel out drive me crazy!!!! I need to pay attention and buy de-veined shrimp. Ok, in the end I love you.
In the picture I show my Greek Yogurt/Salsa dipping sauce in a purple container, I just used it for a travel container, the meal is not a purple container on the 21 Day Fix Program. I used only a tiny bit of salsa, so one of my fruit portions that day I just measured a little short to equal one purple. This meal is 1 red (shrimp), 1 Green (onions and peppers), and 1 yellow (brown rice).
Quick Shrimp Fajita Bowls
- 1 bag of raw frozen shrimp (not sure what size they were on the smaller side maybe U-30-40 or something like that) defrosted, tails removed and icky poop vein out. Could also use chicken breasts
- black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, and chili powder for seasoning.
- 2 tbsp of olive oil (you'll use one in one place one in another)
- 1 red pepper and 1 green pepper sliced
- 2 white onions sliced
- 1 lime
- brown rice (I used 1 boil in a bag of brown rice because it equals three carb servings for my 21 day fix diet, so I boiled one bag and divided it between three containers with my yellow container). Cook according to package directions
- green onions sliced (optional)
- fat free plain Greek yogurt (optional for topping)
- mango salsa (optional for topping)
|Container values, minus the purple|
- Use a dutch oven or some sort of pan, I love my dutch oven and not just because the name refers to a stinky fart in bed hahaha. Put in a tbsp of olive oil and heat on medium heat. While the pan is heating season the shrimp heavily with all of the spices listed above. I wished I had put a little more chili powder on them.
- Once pan is hot throw in the shrimp. Cook for about two minutes until all are curled and pink, do not over cook they go over quickly. Remove from the pot.
- Throw in second tbsp of olive oil then the onions and peppers. Season with black pepper, garlic powder, and a dash of chili powder. Cook for 7-10 minutes until desired softness, I do not like my veggies mushy so I tend to under cook them especially because I'm going to reheat them at work. Scrape the yummy stuff off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as you are cooking, don't miss out on the bottom of the pan flavors they are the best. Especially as the veggies cook down the moisture will allow you to scrape this off more.
- Remove veggies from heat. Portion out peppers and onions and place over the rice. Then top that with a portion of the shrimp. Roll the lime hard w/ the palm of your hand on the counter to loosen up the juices. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the lime juice on top of each fajita bowl.
- I brought a small serving (maybe 3 tbsp) of non fat Greek Yogurt mixed with a tbsp or two of mango salsa to dip in. I topped with sliced green onions. For the chicken one I seasoned the chicken with the same spices as the shrimp, grilled to a charred perfection diced it up then also topped with lemon juice. This dish was easy and total cook time was like 15 minutes. I'm hungry just thinking about this for dinner tonight!!!