So my friend Shannon told me about this dish a while ago. I remember she sent a Snap Chat of it to me when she first made it and I was drooling for that whole 10 second snap. We eat over there quite frequently so I couldn't wait for her to make this again. Even her husband said it was fantastic! About a month back she made this dish and brought it over for dinner one night. It was INCREDIBLE. I ate two huge helpings and then slipped into a glorious food and wine coma.
I've been wanting to make this for a while now. I got an incredible deal on turkey sausage last week, I may or may not have bought like 9 packages, so I figured it was the perfect time to attempt this recipe.
I used the original recipe as a guideline and then kind of did what I wanted with it as far as seasoning and layring. I was so nervous this wouldn't taste as good as the first time I had it, it had A LOT to live up to! Oh boy did it! Steve and I both loved it, again! We both had seconds (little seconds but seconds none the less). William also loved it and of course Jackson wouldn't even try it. I can not wait to have the left overs at work tomorrow for dinner.
This dish was simple to make and I prepped the spaghetti squash in the morning so it was ready to go. I would have cooked the sausage in the a.m. too so I could just pop this bad boy in the oven, however I didn't realize till I already decided I wasn't leaving the house today that I didn't have an onion. I had to wait till Steve came home from Jury Duty to bring me home an onion to finish it up. If you make homemade sauce and it doesn't have sugar the dish would be omitting the part of a purple container and adding about a 1/4 of a green container.
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- 1 spaghetti squash
- onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and dried Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet white onion diced
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce preferably low sugar and low sodium
- 1.25 lbs lean hot Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 1/4 cup of Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup of part skim Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut the ends off the squash and then cut in half. I almost chop my arm off every time I cut these suckers in half. Scoop/scrape the guts and the seeds out. Season each half each with 1 tbsp of olive oil then season heavily with onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and dried Italian seasoning. Line a baking sheet with foil. Put them upside down (so skin up and seasoned half down on the foil). Roast for 30 minutes. You should be able to stick a fork through the skin when its done. I cooked these ahead of time so they were nice and cool when I took a fork, and forked them out of the skin. It should make about 4 cups of spaghetti squash.
- Place a saute pan on medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of olive. When hot add the onion and cook till translucent. Throw in the sausage and garlic and cook until the sausage is cooked through and no longer pink.
- In a bowl mix together Ricotta, Parmesan, and egg. Season with all the above seasonings.
- Take a casserole dish and do a layer of sauce, then a thin layer of squash, half the sausage, and then half the ricotta mixture. Then layer sauce, squash, the rest of the ricotta, the rest of the sausage, then sauce again then top with shredded mozzarella.
- The original recipe said to bake on 375 for 15-20 mins after about 30 minutes mine still didn't look ready so I then turned it up to 400 degrees for another 15 minutes and it was perfect and bubbly and kind of brown on top. Serve and enjoy!!!